The integral relationship between childrens literature and the broader educational enterprise has long been recognized at Teachers College and is the basis of the Librarys extensive historical and contemporary collections in this area.
As early as 1908, the importance of these materials was recognized with the establishment of a Childrens Library. With the opening of Russell Hall, in 1924, the childrens literature collection obtained a distinctive space on the fifth floor. Gradually, important collections of historical childrens literature were developed, including the Darton Collection, the Historical Collection, and the Annie E. Moore Collection. These are now accessible through the Librarys Special Collections department, while the more recent twentieth century retrospective collection and contemporary collections are available in the Resource Center on the fifth floor of the Library. Generally, records for all of these materials are included in the public card catalog, and the latest acquisitions are included in EDUCAT, the Librarys on-line public access catalog.
Overall, the Librarys childrens literature collection totals about 30,000 volumes, spanning four centuries. It provides the basis for research in cultural, literary and educational history, for contemporary comparisons and literary analysis, and for the development of curricula and educational programs.
Jane P. Franck
|MilbankWeb | EDUCAT | CLIO Plus | TC & CU
Webs | Email
General Information | Collections & Services | Research Resources | Exhibits & Publications
Questions | Search | Index
|© 2000 Milbank Memorial Library.|